Ethical and Sustainable Fashion
Ethical and Sustainable Fashion
Glamour, trendy, style are the few words that come on mind and tongue immediately when thinking and talking about fashion. But now, fashion is not all about glitz and glamour; it has taken a whole new aspect, which is ethical and environmentally friendly. Almost 1100 people were killed, and 2200were injured in Rana Plaza, a garment factory in 2013. The accident proved to be an eye-opener for the people who started to ponder over the question of who is working day and night to provide us with the stylish condition and under what conditions. Now people are more considerate about them from where their clothes are coming, who are making them and under what conditions.
Ethical means morally right and virtuous, avoiding all those things that are wrong for humanity at large and Sustainable means preserving a thing as much as possible. So the ethical and sustainable fashion is all about making those trends that are not violating principles of human rights and environmental protection. The brands which make sustainable and ethical clothes are thoughtful and considerate of the impact their clothes are going to make on environmental and overall humanity. The consumers of sustainable fashion are always careful while shopping purchasing only those things which are long-lasting, sustainable, and can be utilized for a long time. To be fashionable and trendy does not mean you should have a very high budget, sustainable fashion brands may be a bit costly as compared to the fast fashion brands, but they are destined to last longer because of high quality.
On the one hand, fast fashion produces such clothes that are inexpensive and cheap, but they are torn and damaged after a short time. On the other hand, sustainable and ethical fashion takes into account the whole manufacturing process, its effects on workers, the environment, and consumers. Sustainable and ethical fashion industries are trying their best to address the following main issues.
- The industries are looking for methods for cutting water use and set up the factories away from the water reservoirs to avoid water pollution.
- Synthetic fibers, hazardous chemicals, and dyes are deadly when humans are exposed to it for a long time. The sustainable and ethical fashion industries are finding substitutes of these synthetic products to replace them with organic and eco-friendly materials.
- One of the main focuses of sustainable fashion is to prefer quality over quantity. They are promoting less is more. The customers are encouraged to wear such fabric and design that can look trendy for a long time.
- When products are produced in less quantity, less will be disposed of in landfills reducing land pollution. Some brands are asking the public to bring their used products to be recycled, changing them into a totally new product.
- The followers of sustainable fashion firmly believe that, like any other field, the fashion industry can make a profit by putting first ethics, precautions, human life and respect, and environmental sustainability. Human safety should not be compromised because of the latest trends; rather they should be intermixed to give a safe, unique, and trendy lifestyle.